Head of School Search
Montclair Kimberley Academy is conducting a search to appoint the fifth Head of School who will start on July 1, 2021. This page is intended to inform our community of the progress of this search and to serve as a resource for communications and information.
Please bookmark this page to stay up-to-date.
Dear Members of the MKA Community,
We hope you and your loved ones are safe and healthy during these difficult times. We are all adjusting to remote learning, working at home, and new ways of living during the ongoing pandemic. As we move forward with the search for the next Head of School, we want to provide you with some important updates.
During the past few months, over 20 meetings were held with faculty, students, administrators, staff, alumni, parents, and members of the Board of Trustees to hear about the community's aspirations for the school and discuss the attributes we want in our next Head of School. In addition, we received more than 900 responses from the online survey. The conversations and survey submissions were instrumental in developing the Position and Candidate Specification, which we are pleased to share with you below.
The coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak has not yet had an impact on our timeline and search process. That said, we continue to monitor the situation and will adjust our process if appropriate.
We greatly appreciate all who have participated in the process to date and look forward to continuing to hear from our community in the months ahead. We welcome your comments, feedback, and nominations at MKAHead@spencerstuart.com.
With warmest regards,
Kathleen M. Logan
President, Board of Trustees
- What is the expected timeline of the search process?
- When will the new Head of School officially start?
- How much latitude will the new Head of School have in shaping MKA’s future strategy and vision?
- What will Mr. Nammack’s role be throughout the search process and after the new Head of School is appointed?
- What is the Board's role?
- What is the Board’s search criteria in looking for a new Head of School?
- What is the role of the Search Committee?
- Who is on the Search Committee?
- What is the role of Spencer Stuart, the search firm?
- Will both internal and external candidates be considered for the role?
- How can someone participate in the process?
The Head of School Search Committee includes Trustees and members of MKA’s Administration. The Search Committee will guide the process of selecting the School's next Head of School by working with our search firm to evaluate the candidates, collaborating with our community, and recommending candidates to the Board of Trustees.
Search Committee Members:
Kate Logan (Chair), P '13, P '14, Board President
Rick Andlinger, P '07, Trustee
Jen Barbetta, P '27, P '29, Trustee
Evie Colbert, P '14, P '16, P '20, Trustee
David Crichlow, P '15, P '18, Trustee
Kathryn Davison, P '18, P '20, P '25, Administration
Cliff Finkle '92, P '25, P '27, Trustee
Karen Gulliver, P '19, P '22, Trustee
Alice Hirsh, P '95, P '03, P '06, Trustee
Michael Johnson, P '06, P '08, P '10, P '13, P '19, Trustee
Lauren Kaplan '93, P '25, Trustee
Karen Newman, P '15, P '18, Administration
Rob Ruberton, P '26, P '30, Trustee
Jeff Szilagyi, P '19, P '23, P '28, Trustee