If you would like to receive more information about MKA, including the school’s prospectus, use this form.
The MKA Admissions Committee selects students who are likely to find success in our challenging, college-preparatory curriculum. We consider each candidate separately from all others, looking closely at individual strengths and merits.
The Admissions Committee seeks evidence of a student's academic achievement and personal integrity through a review of objective and subjective data gathered from the student's current school and from the admissions process. We also look favorably upon an applicant's involvement in the arts, athletics and community service.
MKA welcomes candidates of all ethnic origins and religious and racial backgrounds and, in compliance with law, does not discriminate in any of its practices.
|Important Dates for the 2019-2020 Admissions Process||Date Due|
|Application Deadline||Friday, 12/13|
|Supplemental Materials Deadline||Friday, 1/31|
|Notification Date||Monday, 2/24|
|Enroll-By Date||Monday, 3/16|
- Step A: Learn more about MKA
- Step B: Submit your application
- Step C: Send us your school reports
- Step D: Send us teacher recommendations
- Step E: Complete an entrance test
- Step F: Complete an applicant questionnaire (Grades 4-11 only)
- Step G: Attend a family visit
- Step H: Await the decision
For applicants to Pre-K- grade 12, MKA’s application is available online here. For your convenience for grades 6-12, we also accept the Standard Application online (SAO). This is helpful if you are applying to multiple schools and prefer a paperless process. The application deadline for the 2019-2020 school year is December 13, 2019.
- Pre-K and kindergarten: Candidates may include school reports or the equivalent if their current school issues them. As many schools and programs for this age group do not, this is not required.
- Grades 1-8: Applicants should give the Transcript Request Form to the principal's office of the current school. Transcripts must show at least the last academic year and the first grading period of the current year.
- Grades 9-12: MKA requires final report cards/transcripts and any standardized testing from the previous two years along with a report card/transcript for the current year, which should include grades from at least one marking period. These documents can be sent electronically using the SAO or you can download a hard copy of the Transcript Request Form.
Parents are responsible for giving teachers a blank copy of the teacher recommendation. Teachers may scan and email, fax, or mail these back to our office. Please see the links below to download and print the forms.
Please note that applicants using the Standard Application Online (SAO) should submit their Math and English teacher recommendations electronically using the SAO. For applicants to grades 9-12, the additional teacher recommendation on the SAO should be completed by the applicant's current History, Science, or World Language teacher.
Grades 9-11 Additional Teacher Recommendation (This is a required form from a History, Science or Foreign Language Teacher.)
- Pre-K: Candidates will visit MKA on a Saturday morning in small groups.
- Grades K- 3: Candidates will have an individualized session with a teacher during their classroom visit.
- Grade 4: Candidates will take the CTP 5.
- Grades 5-12: Candidates are asked to take the ISEE or SSAT. Candidates for grades 11 and 12 are encouraged to submit PSAT scores, but the SSAT or ISEE is acceptable. Complete testing details are on the ISEE website and SSAT website.
Candidates and their families will visit the campus to which they are applying. Parents will have a conference with a member of the Admissions Team and students will visit at least one classroom (two in Upper School). Family visits in Middle or Upper School also include a tour, while those in the Upper School include a conference with a member of the Upper School Admissions Committee.
Primary School visits include a parent conference and tour, class visit for the child, as well as an individualized session with a teacher.